Last Updated on 19 August 2023
Context: Every Thursday(ish) I play D&D online (we're actually using the SWADE system for this campaign) with some friend. The setting is entirely homebrew (both DM and players worked to create the world before playing). I play an iron being (not a robot) known as an Ironing. His name is Claden and he is a Varaq, responsible for obtaining variables, measurements, metrics, and statistics of all sorts which he will input into the "great machine," an all knowing device. These are notes from Claden's perspective while we play.
- We are boatless. Headed Northwest – into the slime swamp. We’ve come upon spider-huminoids. They’re herding gelatinous cubes, spiders, toads, and a hydra. We decided to sneak away.
- In the next direction we went – we ran into rust monsters, which would eat and corrode my body, so we decided it best to make yet another about face.
- We’ve come upon an island in the middle of a massive underground lake. Plume flies over – and she sees dark twisting shapes in the water. There are little motes of light dancing about the island. We decided the comfort was not worth the risk.
- A spring is trickling out of the wall into the current cave we’re in. There is a sign that warns that the water is toxic. Ferenix sticks her toe in. Her toenail immediately falls off. I stick my toe in and it immediately starts dissolving my outer plating. I updated the sign to warn that the liquid is caustic.
- We have finally found the sightless river – and low and behold, we cannot see the other side. We decided to camp on the bank of the river.
- I always wake up at 5. Like all Ironings.
- Nausea comes in waves as Bashir turns me into a vampire bat. As we cross the river – we see all sorts of horrifying things beneath the surface. Out of the darkness came giant buzzing insects. Plume channels her arcane powers and gusts the bugs into the water. They are immediately consumed.
- Once across the river – we head west (to avoid the Observer). We come upon 4 figures around a campfire. There are 2 green skinned humanoids, A trunx, and an Ironing.
- There’s something off about this Ironing. And the green skin folks are orcs – which is weird because they are in no records kept by any of the races.
- The Trunx ended up stealing Ferenix’s sword. It ended up turning into combat. I was sad to see the ironing get killed.
- The Ironing had an empty compartment – with a Kidney. There’s also a notebook, money, and a couple gems. I flip to a random journal entry. “I’ve finally received my first task – to go out and collect data for the great machine.” He was likely an Varaq that was collecting data on the more nefarious types.
- Plume used a bone statue to try and resurrect the Ironing. It did not bring him back to life, but his soul was pulled into the statue. His name is Dormu. Now that we’re talking to him, it turns out that he might not be a good intentioned person anymore.